- That they may fear the LORD, to be afraid, to reverence, to stand in awe. The fear of the LORD is to hate evil; (Proverbs 8:13) The lack of having the fear of the LORD opens the door to practice evil.
- That the days of our lives will prolonged. My son, do not forget my law, But let your heart keep my commands; For length of days and long life and peace they will add to you. (Proverbs 3:1-2) God wants His people to live long and have peace. He gave us His word to do just that. ...His word is medicine to all of our flesh. (Proverbs 4:22)
- That it be well with you and that you may multiply greatly. This indicates that God would secure prosperity and security for His people for generations. I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers. (3 John 2) If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him! (Matthew 7:11)
- You shall not go after other gods. No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon. (Matthew 6:24) (Although in context this is about the power of wealth, the same principle applies)
- You shall not tempt the LORD your God. Then the devil took Him up into the holy city, set Him on the pinnacle of the temple, and said to Him, If You are the Son of God, throw Yourself down. For it is written: He shall give His angels charge over you, and, In their hands they shall bear you up, Lest you dash your foot against a stone. Jesus said to him, It is written again, You shall not tempt the Lord your God. (Matthew 4:5-7)
Monday, September 27, 2010
A Love Letter to You
The Bible is referred to as many things, Gods Word, The Truth, etc. But I like to refer to it as a love letter to all of humanity from the God of love. There are many reasons why believer's must place God's Word in their hearts daily and He shows us in Deuteronomy 6:1-3, 14, 16. In verse 1 we see four key words, Commandments, which denotes a body of laws given by divine revelation; Statutes, things that God has defined, marked or traced out to teach how one walks right before God; Judgments, that is sitting as judge or rights belonging to someone; and Observe, to perceive; become acquainted with; to gain understanding of; to examine. With these words in mind, let's look at the importance that God places on His word and why it is imperative for believers to spend ample time daily in it.