Word games are a favorite among many. They not only provide fun entertainment, but they also provide a learning experience. Some of the top word games today are, Scrabble, Boggle, Typo, Balderdash, Upword, Word Search and the ever favorite, Crosswords. Though word game may provide various benefits, how we use our words has a great impact upon ourselves and others. Solomon says it this way, "Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit." (Proverbs 18:21).
Many believers today live with a sense of defeat and failure not realizing that the words coming from their mouth are most likely the reason for this, especially if their words are negative in content. Look what the writer of Hebrews says concerning God's Word, "who (Jesus) being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, (the Father) and upholding all things by the word of His power..." (Hebrews 1:3) Notice that it does not say "the power of His word" but "the word of His power." In other words, God's Word is His power or as Hebrews also say, "For the word of God is living and powerful..." (Hebrews 4:12)
It has been said by many, that Christianity is called "the great confession" However, far to many believers are defeated in life because they believe and confess the wrong things. Again, looking to the Book of Hebrews it says, "Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession." and "Let us hold fast the confession of our faith without wavering, for He who promised is faithful." (Hebrews 4:14, 10:23) Believers are to "hold fast our confession." But what confession are we to hold fast to? We are to hold fast to our confession of the absolute integrity of God's Word as well as hold fast to the confession of the finished redemptive work of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Concerning holding fast our confession to the absolute integrity of God's Word, let's consider the following...
- Psalms 89:34 My covenant I will not break, nor alter the word that has gone out of My lips.
- Psalms 119:89 Forever, O LORD, Your word is settled in heaven.
- Psalms 119:105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.
- Isaiah 55:11 So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void, but it shall accomplish what I please, and it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.
- John 17:17 Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth
- Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.
- Romans 5:1-2 Therefore, having been declared righteous by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
- 2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.
- Philippians 4:19 And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
- 1 Peter 2:24 who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness by whose stripes you were healed.
These too are but a few passages of scripture revealing the finished redemptive work of Christ and the believers legal right to these incredible promises. Both of these areas of making confession require only one thing, faith, the rest is up to God. Let's face it, every person who walks by faith will have testing, but keep in mind they do not come from the Father, they come from the adversary, (James 1:13, 1 Peter5:8) The devil does not want the Word of God to have the ascendancy in your life. He knows that when believers live by the Word of God, they know how to resist him on every level of life in the same manner that Jesus did. This is freedom, this is life, this is rest, because this is Christianity.
"My son, give attention to my words; Incline your ear to my sayings. Do not let them depart from your eyes; Keep them in the midst of your heart; For they are life to those who find them, and health (medicine) to all their flesh. Keep your heart with all diligence, for out of it spring the issues of life. Put away from you a deceitful mouth, and put perverse lips far from you." (Proverbs 4:20-24)